According to landscaping company LandscapesWA, outdoor garden lighting is one of the most under utilised landscape design features out there. A lot of people put thousands of dollars and hours of their time into creating the perfect garden, but they forget that it’s dark half of the time.
If you truly want to develop an outdoor space that you can take advantage of in any weather and at any time of the day or night, you need to include lights in your landscape design. Clever use of lighting can help transform your garden from a bleak, dull area to a nighttime wonderland. Who would say no to this?
What Are The Benefits Of Outdoor Lighting?
Installing outdoor lighting in your garden and around your entertaining areas comes with a wide range of benefits. These include:
- Clever use of lighting will allow you to make use of your yard at any time of the day or night. This is especially useful for people who live in warm climates where the nights are often the most comfortable part of the day.
- Outdoor lighting can help create a warm, comfortable atmosphere – this is perfect for entertaining guests!
- Cleverly positioned lights can make your home safer and more secure, deterring potential burglars.
- Additionally, outdoor lighting can even help improve the value of your home.
As you can see, you would be stupid not to at least think about including at least some sort of lighting in your outdoor spaces!
Where Can I Install Outdoor Lighting?
Really, your use of outdoor lighting is only limited by your imagination. I would recommend sitting down and creating a lighting plan that encompasses your whole yard space. Doing so will help you get the most out of your lighting. Consider installing lights in or on any of the following things:
- In or around water features or ponds.
- In or next to walkways and paths.
- In trees.
- On fences or retaining walls.
- In and around pools.
What Else Should I Think About?
Outdoor lighting can be a wonderful thing – when it’s used right. However, poor installation or poorly thought out designs can lead to all sorts of problems.
I would recommend speaking to an outdoor lighting specialist before you even think about installing new outdoor lights. Consider getting them hard-wired in by an electrician to prevent electrical problems or safety issues. Alternatively, think about solar lights. They are environmentally friendly, safe and they look great!
Outdoor lighting is an extremely underutilised design feature that everyone should consider. When included in a proper landscape design, outdoor lights can increase the useability of your outdoor space. They can create a comfortable welcoming atmosphere, and they really can turn your backyard into a nighttime wonderland!